Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Poetry Corner #1

Here's one to read at Twilight, kids.


Notice how that sentence works with or without the comma? That's topical satire, that is. Anyway. I figured I'd write (I think the correct phrase is 'knock out') a poem. I know a bunch of teenagers who'd really dig this crap. And at least it's gonna make me laugh when I read it back six months from now.




There's supposed to be a void; just here
Yes, you may touch.
To all intents and purposes an endless pit,
Yet such is the extraordinary sense of you, here, filling it.
It isn't right, it isn't fair that something borne of light
Would dare to violate me - me - predator incarnate; apostate of joy...

...and yet I am stricken, afflicted.
A venom spreads across my brow, blossoming where even now
Your lips connect; the effect is all too hostile,
But again, just there, my love.
Too many lost and distant years since human nature fled and left me emptied, numb -
Perfectly equipped for life to come, where sentiment and love were chained
And hope remained a scornful memory.

You weren't supposed to see the dawn.
You weren't supposed to be a Queen, a Goddess, or a Priestess -
The expression of perfection, the cruelest intervention by a harsh Creator,
Trap and bait were set - and yet I find I am your prey.
Be gentle with me, love.
You weren't supposed to take my breath away, to render me conflicted so;
To find in me capacity to feel or purge me of this turgid ego.


Your beautiful assault, attack without aggression left me stunned,
This blackened quick succumbed and broken down beneath your gentle, vicious touch.
Come sit, love - we've time, but not too much.
The sky will fast ignite, but for now the night will hold us safe.
A useless prayer to slow the time; nobody there to answer and I'm
Ready. Don't cry.

And yes, I want to make you as I am,
To take your perfect wrist and offer mine in kind;
To feel it blistering beneath your grip, to twirl in frozen time
With orchestral refrain as your pulse fades and dies; yet I would not, could not do so.
Cover your hands, love. Please? 
I will defy myself to the end, yet never have I longed so terribly, so violently,
To take from you the sunset and the dawn - your essence remade in perfect form,
A theft that can never be repaid.

But here - it breaks, the morning's flame,
And save for whispering your name I'll sit and watch in silence.
A trade; the violence of a life eternal for a single dawn with you, my love -
Perhaps reborn anew, my love? 
And after I am gone to dust, to where the sun roars black and gold is rust,
Be bold, my love...


My arms still hold you.





No comments:

Post a Comment